Saturday, July 28, 2007

Dancing is Good For You


One Thursday evening my friends and I were walking through "El Centro", the town center of Cuernavaca. We came across a live band playing in the "kiosk." While the sky threatened rain (it always does that time of evening), the band played excellent dance music. Couples were dancing all around the square among the vendors, young girls wearing simple aprons with necklaces for sale slung on their outstretched "display" arms, carts with hot corn chili powder and lime, fresh fruit, balloon vendors holding on to large bunches and shoe-shiners.

I was struck by the elegance and majesty of one dancing couple. The man wore a white straw fedora and a white starched cotton shirt with sleeves rolled up past his wrists. HE KNEW HOW TO LEAD HIS PARTNER! The woman was full of grace, very smooth. Her white sandals accented her nimble feet, and her pink skirt added just the right amount of color for dusk.

Often, when I make my way to the town center, there is dance music playing on a speaker system in the square and there are plastic chairs set up in rows or a circle. This is called the dance social. Last week Laurie, Brenda and I recognized one of the dances. It was the Cumbia. Originating in Columbia of endegenous and African slave influences, the Cumbia is a coursthip dance. Last Wednesday an excellent dance instructor taught us the steps of the Cumbia. I believe that dancing helps stimulate brain cells and the whole body becomes invested in the learning process. I feel certain I spoke better Spanish that day!


My friend Sam knows the importance of dance for the well-being of body and soul. Having suffered from multiple sclerosis for aobut 30 years, Sam is now without movement in any of his limbs. Before I left for Mexico I went to see him. Always unselfishly looking out for the well-being of my body, soul and marriage, Sam said he contributed to my sabbatical fund for tango lessons. Maybe we both thought he was joking at the time, but I took him seriously. It has not been difficult to find dance in Mexico. Thank you, Sam. It was money well spent.

No comments: