Friday, July 20, 2007

It´s ¨Suave¨not ¨Suerte¨ Confundo!


Yuri is my new Spanish teacher this week. On Tuesday she took me to the pyramids of the ancient Toltecas, Teopanzolco. The pyramids are located very close to the Diocese of Cuernavaca. Yuri parked her car at the site and as we got out I told her about Omar the teacher who told us last week that it is not good to slam the door of the taxi. I said it is better to close the door ¨suerte.¨ She looked at me with puzzlement. She told me that I had just said it is better to shut the door with luck. Yuri very gently said, ¨Carolina, I think you mean ¨suave¨ (softly).


I am always confusing words in Spanish. On Wednesday I asked Beti, the woman who prepares delicious meals for us three times a day, if I could take her picture. I asked her to be taking something out of the oven. The bishop and my friend Rodolfo heard me and burst into laughter. They explained to me that I just asked Beti if I could take her picture in the oven.

For an adult (this adult!) learning a new language is an adventure. I´ve often laughed at things that happen along my learning curve. (Yes, sometimes I want to go to a corner, suck my thumb and cry!) But I have been surrounded by gentle friends who help me keep good humor. Immersion in Spanish has been a voyage back into childhood, grade school. It´s not for the faint hearted. I must remind myself, ¨poco a poco¨ (little by little). Baby steps, milk before solid food (thanks, St. Paul!). Yes, the tears have come when it is too frustrating and my head just can´t take anymore new information. But as in childhood, learning a new language in the company of compadres is also to experience playfulness, humor and safety.

The best part of my immersion experience is the reminder that human beings have a great capacity for humor and hospitality. All over the world these two human characteristics thankfully often override ugly exploitation of differences. I have been surrounded by Mexicans who are gently cheering me on, coaching me casually in the kitchen or in the marketplace, nurturing me and helping me speak the best Spanish for my capacity. They have pride in me. It´s like I´m the little sister they are bringing along. And they are family.


Tomorrow, we rise early for an excursion to Mexico City and the Museum of Anthropology. I can´t wait.

No comments: